January Minutes 2016

TEMPLE EWELL PARISH COUNCIL

Clerk: J Coulson-Wright, 5 Dour Side, River, Dover, Kent CT17 0UX

Tel:  01304 820273   Email:  coulsonwright@aol.com   

website: www.templeewellpc.kentparishes.gov.uk 

Minutes of the Temple Ewell Parish Council Meeting held on

Tuesday 23rd February 2016, 7.15pm at Temple Ewell Baptist Church Hall

 

 

  28.Present: Cllrs C Smithen, G Mousley, R Hamer, N Doherty, Mrs L End, Mrs A Stacey, Mrs A Worton, Mrs S Pilcher. 

 

       Apologies: Mr I Dean, PCSO May, County Councillor Lymer, Mrs J Coulson-Wright

 

       In Attendance: Dist Cllr Rose

 

    29. Declarations of Interest 

Councillors were invited to declare any agenda items in which they had a personal/prejudicial   interest. Cllr Mrs Stacey declared an interest in connection with Planning Application – DOV/15/00123.

 

    30. Minutes of Meeting held 26th January 2016

Proposed by Cllr R Hamer seconded by Cllr Mrs L End, the minutes were then agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

 

    31. Matters Arising from Minutes of last meeting:

Defibrillator Installation – The defibrillator has now been installed on the Players building. The Chairman confirmed that the players committee members have agreed to waive any annual electric fee as a good will gesture. An article has been placed in the newsletter, local organisations notified and signage provided, the village handyman will complete and record an inspection of the equipment on a weekly basis. The Parish Council insurance and emergency services have been contacted. No further action.
Tree Removal/Parking Green Lane – Stephanie Wadhams KCC Highways wrote to the Clerk providing a brief overview of the situation at Green Lane with regards to the removal of trees to the rear of properties in Target Firs.

 It appears that the first instance of tree removal to allow vehicle parking to the rear of Target     Firs was in 2010. 52 Target Firs seems to have been the first property to do this. Unfortunately there is no real record to show that any kind of permission was sought to remove the trees in question and no subsequent action has been taken by KCC with regard to the removal of the trees and shrubs here or the construction of the vehicle crossing.

 

The neighbouring resident at 54 then went on to remove the vegetation to the rear of his property in 2013, again without any consultation with or permission from KCC or DDC. This resident was written to and told to reinstate the tree line. Stephanie spoke to him when he called in to query this and he informed her that he was putting a driveway in. She explained that if that was the case then he needed to make a vehicle crossing application asap. This has never been forthcoming.

Stephanie has spoken to the tree officer for the area and she has stated that all the trees and shrubs along here are considered to be private. The trees that showed as assets on the map sent  previously are actually logged on KHS system as private trees but they have, in the past, carried out emergency make safe works to them. Given that KCC are taking the stance that the tree/shrub line is private then there may be little they can do about what has already occurred. It seems that they cannot even ask the resident at 54 to replant what he has removed despite him not applying for a vehicle crossing as previously requested and she would be surprised if he ever does.

The tree officer did say that she would not approve any future vehicle crossing applications that were made for Green Lane to the rear of Target Firs on the basis of vegetation loss so Stephanie considers that a positive. The Clerk has re-visited the rear of property 54, and found that the land in question has now been fenced off and included within the owners boundary.  County Councillor Geoff Lymer felt that this may set a precedent for other residents to follow suit which is unacceptable, land cannot just be taken, either KCC should agree to sell the land or enforcement action should be taken. He will contact Stephanie direct and pursue on a county level. 

(c) Grass Verge, London Road – The shrubs have been planted and bollards installed, both have made a difference as cars have completely stopped parking on the grass verge. Parishioners have spoken to individual Parish Councillors expressing mixed views on the improvements.  DDC  has provided a new dog litter bin. The project cost in total £2,600 however the Clerk obtained £1,600 in grants therefore only using a small amount from reserves. 

Planning Application DOV/15/00123 – Off-Site Contribution – The Clerk is still waiting to hear from Emma-Jane Allen DDC, regarding an off site financial contribution to the village. A letter was sent to the DDC Planning Committee back in December informing them that the Parish Council has taken steps to prevent parking on the verge at the opposite side of the London Road, and that they are strongly of the opinion that development of the upper level of the site should be restricted to six properties with as much parking on site as possible. No decision has been made by DDC as yet.
One Way System, Lower Road – This item will tie in with the ongoing Stagecoach discussions. Both County Councillor Lymer & Dist Cllr Rose reported that they have been in touch with Stagecoach, Kent Highways and local affected residents. After much discussion  the Parish Councillors agreed that the only way forward is to have a site meeting with Stagecoach with the intention of identifying road traffic issues and then in turn liaising with Kent Highways to finally resolve the problems that plague this bus route daily. Their priority is to tackle the bus route first, followed by negotiations with KCC to implement a one-way system, however this may take a few years due to current financial restraints. Cllr Mrs A Worton pointed out that if the 15b bus were restricted to a one-way route using a hopper bus the service could remain the same, but the village issues discussed would reduce dramatically. Cllr G Mousley offered to write a letter to Jon Winder regarding the proposal surrounding future travel plans for the Kearsney Abbey redevelopment plus raising the Parish Councils concerns over the inadequate parking for Kearsney Abbey during peak times, as traffic already spills onto surrounding roads often parking irresponsibly causing inconvenience to residents/pedestrians and a hazard to other road users.
Public Footpath Renovations & St Michaels Contribution – Pennock Plant Hire has delivered an excellent job of resurfacing the pathway leading up the the allotments. Mrs Cox, Manager, St Michaels House has agreed verbally to contribute towards half of the overall cost. The Clerk awaits payment. 

 

 

Adjourn. 

     32. Public Contribution Time

    It was confirmed at the last Village Hall meeting that the village clock was still not working. A parishioner enquired if the Parish Council would get involved with its renovation. The Chairman explained that the Parish Council did offer to pay two years ago to have the clock repaired, however the Village Hall Committee did not reply to this offer, therefore they would need to contact the Parish Council direct in future. Cllr R Hamer who is a member of the committee will pass this onto the Village Hall Chairman.

     A tree has fallen blocking the footpath running parallel with the top end of Dragon Wood. The Clerk has already reported this to Public Rights of Way, reference number PROW652203. The tenant of Miss Knights cottage has installed decking in the garden and across the stream which could cause flooding. The Clerk has already contacted the Environment Agency for legal advice. A letter will be sent to the tenant once the agency has replied.

     

     33. PCSO Mays’ Report

         No Report

 

     34. Planning & Decisions: 

DOV/15/01274 | Repair of existing cafe and erection of a single storey extension to form improved visitor facilities; replacement gates to boundary wall; repair of boundary walls and new pedestrian bridge over weir | Kearsney Abbey, Alkham Road, River – No objection.

DOV/15/01277 | Phase 2 of Whitfield Urban Extension incorporating Parsonage Whitfield and Shepherd’s Cross Neighbourhoods and comprising up to 410 and 780 dwellings respectively in the form of 1-5 bedroomed two and part three storey accommodation together with green infrastructure including a minimum of 4.01 hectares of SAC mitigation land, cemetery, a spine access road and junctions connecting Archers Court Road with Sandwich Road, associated roads, footpaths and cycleways serving the individual residential areas, car parking and garaging and associated infrastructure. | Phase II – Whitfield Urban Expansion, Whitfield. – No objection

DOV 15/01286 | Erection of a two storey side extension | 39 Temple Side, Temple Ewell – No objection.

         To note decisions made by DDC – 

  None

 

     35. Reports of County & District Councillor/Committees – 

KCC is currently undertaking a consultation on its mobile library service. The consultation is entitled “Making best use of the Mobile Library Service”. the consultation includes information on why KCC is re-designing the mobile library service, the criteria they are proposing when reviewing stopping locations and the impact it would have on the current service. The consultation document proposes to withdraw stops that have only had, on average, 2 or less visitors over the period October 2014 – September 2015. The consultation document shows that this would reduce the number of stops from 651 to 283. Temple Ewell will continue to receive the fortnightly service at Dodds Mill, however it will move from Wednesday to a Friday at the later time of 16.25pm. 

 

     Environment  

The white village finger post was found laying on the ground and removed immediately.  Our village handyman made attempts to mend the post, however it was decided to upgrade the sign and obtain three quotes for one made of oak with specialist routed signage. To be discussed at the next meeting. 

 

     Allotments

         No report

 

    Footpaths, Highways & Pavements

         No report

 

         Playing Field Report    

English Landscapes has provided a quotation for the 2016/17 King George V maintenance contract. No increase has been applied for this coming year and therefore the quotation was  accepted and unanimously agreed.

 

     36. Correspondence

Domestic Waste in KGV Bins – A resident has been identified through putting their domestic waste and rubbish into the Parish Councils public bins located on the King George V playing field. Not only is this illegal, it attracts vermin which in turn may become a health risk to all those using the field. If the residents does not stop, the Parish Council will be forced to take further action. 

DDC New Homes – The government is to directly commission thousands of new affordable homes.  This includes up to 500 new homes on the Connaught Barracks site. Connaught Barracks is a former MOD site of 55 hectares acquired by the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) in 2008. At its core is a Napoleonic fort now owned by the Land Trust. The site is allocated for up to 500 housing units. It is considered challenging by private developers due to complex demolition and utility upgrade works that are required prior to development. As a result work on the site is currently stalled and incurs significant holding costs. Direct commissioning will enable this site to be brought forward, reducing the costs to the public purse and bringing forward additional housing that the market alone would not deliver.

DDC Snow Warden Scheme – DDC has written to Parish Councils in an informal consultation that will explore some options for the provision of a district-wide “Snow Warden” Scheme in time for the next winter season.

Dover District Council has been asked to explore whether or not a Snow Warden Scheme (co-ordinated by DDC) would help to ensure a more consistent delivery of service, by volunteers, that can keep pavements clear along key local access routes in the event of any significant snowfall in the region. The scheme would also ensure that training and advice is made available to those wishing to participate in the scheme.

What is a Snow Warden.

A Snow Warden is a named local resident who has been trained to use tools, grit and other resources to clear snow from pavements (not roads) and has knowledge of which areas are a priority for clearance. Their training will also enable them to offer any other volunteers guidance on how to work safely and is also able to co-ordinate the activity to make sure the priority areas are cleared first. They can also be tasked to check the local resources at an appropriate point in the year to assess the condition and level of tools and grit etc. The Parish Councillors did not believe that Temple Ewell required a snow warden.  

 

     37. Chairman’s Announcements

 Kent Wildlife Trust have removed a number of trees recently along the verge, London Road. A resident complained to the Chairman, who had clarified that the trees were removed to encourage the further development of flora and fauna. 

 

     38. Events Committee

Clean For The Queen- Clean for The Queen is a campaign to clear up Britain in time for Her Majesty the Queen's 90th birthday, which will be officially celebrated in June 2016. Cllr Mrs A Worton has organised a village clean up which will take place on Saturday 5th & Sunday 6th March. An article has been placed in the newsletter encouraging parishioner participation, local groups will be supporting. 

 

     39. Clerks Financial Report, Statement of Accounts. 

 Precept Recommendations – Parish Councillors had received copies of the Precept recommendations for 2016/17. DDC confirmed that they were reducing the precept grant by 32% this year. The Parish Councillors had already pre-empted this reduction and were able to adjust their finances accordingly so that no increase was applied for Temple Ewell for 2016/17 budget.

 

      40.Any Other Business

It was agreed that the Clerk write to Jon Winder, Project Manager, Kearsney Park Renovations and invite him to be the speaker at the years AGM. 

 

The Chairman will chair the next meeting in the Clerk absence and Cllr Mr I Dean will take the minutes. 

 

There being no further business, the meeting closed at 8.55pm.