March Minutes 2016

TEMPLE EWELL PARISH COUNCIL

Clerk: J Coulson-Wright, 5 Dour Side, River, Dover, Kent CT17 0UX

Tel:  01304 820273   Email:  coulsonwright@aol.com  

website: www.templeewellpc.kentparishes.gov.uk

Minutes of the Temple Ewell Parish Council Meeting held on

Tuesday 29th March 2016, 7.15pm at Temple Ewell Baptist Church Hall

 

 

    54.Present: Cllrs C Smithen, G Mousley, I Dean, Mrs L End, Mrs A Stacey, Mrs A Worton.

 

Apologies: Cllr Mrs S Pilcher, Cllr N Hamer, Cllr N Doherty.

 

In Attendance: County Councillor Lymer, Dist Cllr Rose, PCSO May, Mrs J Coulson-Wright (Clerk)

 

55. Declarations of Interest

Councillors were invited to declare any agenda items in which they had a personal/prejudicial interest. None we declared.

 

56. Minutes of Meeting held 23rd February 2016

Proposed by Cllr G Mousley seconded by Cllr Mrs L End, the minutes were then agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

 

Mr Adam Whiltshire from Guardian Security gave a short presentation to the Parish Councillors providing information about the latest CCTV equipment, and recommendations to upgrade the current IP system equipment located on the King George V playing field. Mr Whiltshire requested a site meeting to re-look at the current CCTV equipment so that he can provide a more accurate quotation. The Clerk will arrange a suitable date for a site meeting.

 

57. Matters Arising from Minutes of last meeting:

a) Tree Removal/Parking, Green Lane – No further progress has been made regarding this matter. County Councillor Lymer had said at the previous meeting that he would contact Stephanie Wadhams directly and pursue on a County level.

b) Planning Application DOV/15/00123 – The Clerk reported that DDC planning committee had still not made a decision regarding this planning application.

c) Flyers & Public Meeting – Buses/Traffic Lower Road/High Street – Richard Heaps, Schemes Project Engineer KHS sent an e-mail to Dan Bruce, Infrastructure & Development Senior Officer KHS reporting his findings after spending a morning with the Chairman and seeing first hand the traffic issues that Lower Road/High Street are facing on a daily basis.  Mr Bruce sent the following reply: – 

All buses running on Lower Road are operated on a commercial basis by Stagecoach. As such, issues concerning timetabling, service routing, vehicle type, frequency etc. are a matter for the commercial operator and not Kent County Council (KCC). There is no contractual relationship between the Local Authority and the operator so as such our level of control is very limited. It should be noted that Stagecoach would have followed all statutory processes when registering the routes concerned with the Traffic Commissioner, the regulatory body for commercial bus services in the UK.

·         Stagecoach has introduced a level of service, which they deem to be appropriate and commercially viable for the area. At the last Dover Quality Bus Partnership, Stagecoach explained their reasoning for operating via Lower Road and noted that use of the route from their perspective was important in order to serve River. Alternative options were not deemed appropriate due to the physical nature of the roads concerned (low bridge etc.)

·         There is no obligation on Stagecoach to consult when introducing new or varied bus routes. Like other vehicular traffic, operators are at liberty to run on public roads as long as there are no physical restrictions on the road itself (for instance involving weight or width). In the case of Lower Road we do not believe there to be any such restrictions in place.

 

The Parish Council decided that a public meeting should be held at the Baptist Church Hall during April’s Annual Parish Meeting in order to gauge the strength of feeling within the village concerning the use by buses and other HGV’s of High Street/Lower Road. Residents of High Street/ Lower Road and the surrounding area have been notified of the meeting by means of a hand-delivered flyer and a notice has been included in the village newsletter for the benefit of other residents. The Chairman offered his thanks to Adams Printers who provided two hundred flyers free of charge.

d) Traffic Survey Lower Road/High Street – The Clerk has contacted Amey, a company recommended by KHS that provide traffic surveys.  Charlotte Wright, who works within the consulting and strategic infrastructure team, will be dealing with the Parish Councils request for a quotation.

e) Environment – Decking Miss Knights Cottage – Emma Philpott Land Drainage Engineer from Kent County Council attend the site on 3rd March in order to assess the potential impact of the recent installation of decking over the stream at Miss Knights cottage. Miss Philpott has agreed to contact the owner of the property and deal with them direct.

f) Queens 90th Birthday Celebrations – Arrangements have been made and publicised in the newsletter. The Clerk has completed and returned a risk assessment required by DDC and informed the Parish Councils insurers.  

g) Kearsney Parks Project – The Chairman and the Vice-Chairman met Jon Winder in order to discuss the Kearsney Parks Project scheme generally and the parking proposals in particular. Mr Winder explained that there were twelve days a year when the main parking problems occurred. He is in discussions with DDC to negotiate a grass area in Bushy Ruff that he believes would accommodate up to thirty additional cars. The Community Orchard was also discussed and met with positives vibes. The Chairman suggested that there may be the potential to purchase a field adjacent to Chilton Ave for more parking. Contact details will be sought and passed onto Mr Winder.

h) Nature Sign Design – Fingerboard Signage – The Parish Councillors debated the lettering for the third lower finger. It was finally agreed that it should read Parish Church.

i) Dog Bins – Church Hill & London Road – DDC are not installing any new dog bins presently, however they have added the two additional bin requests onto their wish list.

j) Pothole – Junction of Lower Road/High Street with Mill Street – Logged with KHS Ref No: 204418. The pothole was filled the following week.

k) Log Replacement KG V Playing Field – Jacksons have quoted £35 for a close-grained timber log suitable for use as play equipment, replacing the balancing log removed last year.  Once delivered the Clerk will liaise with Mr Pennock who has kept the metal fittings and arrange the installation.

l) APM & AGM Arrangements – This years Annual Parish Meeting will be held on Tuesday 26th April at 7pm. The Parish Councils Annual General Meeting will take place on Tuesday 31st May 2016.

 

Adjourn.

58. Public Contribution Time

     It was brought to PCSO May’s attention that a number of motorbikes have been seen on Mrs Broadly field behind the allotments tearing it up. PCSO May reported that the police motor bike team would take months to attend the site so she will speak to the owner, to establish who is riding on the field. Cars have been parking on the pavement just passed the village sign on London Road which I causing a blind spot. PCSO May will investigate.

    

59. PCSO Mays’ Report

       As above.

 

60. Planning & Decisions:

DOV/16/00197 – Proposal: Erection of a two-storey side extension. Single-storey rear extension and a double garage and excavation to create part lower ground floor. Location: 20 Malvern Meadow, Temple Ewell – No objection

Decisions

DOV/15/01286 – 39 Temple Side, Temple Ewell – Erection of a two storey side extension

Granted

DOV/16/00078 | Erection of a detached dwelling house | Site at No.s 7-9, Templar Road. – Granted

 

61. Reports of County & District Councillor/Committees –

County Councillor Lymer reported that Kearsney Avenue would receive micro surfacing in the summer to prevent further deterioration of the road.

Dist Cllr Rose has been auditing roads in the local area, identifying the potholes. A report has been sent to KHS. It has taken since last September to finally have Whitfield Hill cleared of rubbish.

 

Environment 

No report

 

Allotments

No report

 

Footpaths, Highways & Pavements

   No report

 

   Playing Field Report

 No report

 

62. Correspondence

School Fete 2016 – Temple Ewell Primary School will be holding this year’s summer fete on 25th June. The Parish Councillors agreed for them to use the KGV playing field on the understanding that there is provision to remove & dispose of rubbish after the event.

 

63. Chairman’s Announcements

No announcements.

 

64. Events Committee

Clean For The Queen – Ten volunteers helped to pick up rubbish in and around the village ready for the Queens 90th birthday celebrations in June.  The Chairman thanked Cllr Mrs A Worton for organinsing the event. DDC were recognised for their support in providing litterbags & litter pickers and their prompt collection of the rubbish.

 

65. Clerks Financial Report, Statement of Accounts.

The statement of receipts and payments for February 2016 were presented to the Parish Council. Proposed by Cllr G Mousley, seconded by Cllr Mrs A Worton and unanimously agreed.

The Clerk reported that the Audit Commission closed on 31 March 2015. From 1 April 2015, responsibility for making auditor appointments and setting audit fees will transfer to a new company, Public Sector Audit Appointments Limited. This new company will undertake these functions until the current contracts with audit firms expire – currently expected to be after the completion of the 2016/17 audits.

Smaller authorities will keep the external auditor appointed by the Audit Commission until the 2016/17 audit process has been completed.

All smaller authorities will continue to prepare annual accounts in the form of an annual return. However Parish Councils can choose to opt out of the appointing body auditor arrangements. The Clerk recommended remaining in the AAA rather than make alternative arrangements for an independent auditor panel to audit the annual accounts. The Parish Councillors agreed to remain in the AAA.

 

66.Any Other Business

KCC has replaced the lighting column in front of Players Corner recently, taking with them the old column and the Parish Council’s hanging planter brackets. The Clerk has asked for the support of Dist Councillor Rose, and requested that he raise this with the highways team requesting that the brackets are either replaced or that the Parish Council is financially compensated so that new brackets can be purchased.

 

Cllr Mrs A Worton and County Councillor Geoff Lymer gave their apologies for Aprils meeting.

 

There being no further business, the meeting closed at 8.35pm.